Stephen in Hotel News Now: Carbon Monoxide the Silent Killer for Hoteliers

Stephen was recently asked to comment in an article in Hotel News Now covering the tragic deaths of three guests at a Best Western in Boone, North Carolina, which has brought to light the real danger of carbon monoxide poisoning in hotels. Damon Mallatere, president of Appalachian Hospitality Management, which manages the Best Western in Boone, has been charged with three counts of involuntary manslaughter.

Carbon monoxide is a gas that can leak from water heaters, boilers, fireplaces, cooking equipment, pool-heaters, and other types of heating tools. Many hoteliers are not aware of the science behind carbon monoxide and the need for proper ventilation in areas with heaters and boilers.

“The problem is it’s deadly because you can’t see it, taste it or smell it. They call it the silent killer.” Barth said people haven’t really been aware of how dangerous carbon monoxide is. “But I think they’re becoming aware of it and it’s something they’re diligently trying to address,” he said. 
“Knowledge is one of the key solutions,” Barth said. “If you understand how this happened and why, you can take reasonable steps to prevent it, including proper venting, proper inspection on at least an annual basis, and then, of course, CO alarms.”

Read the full article here.

(Visited 22 times, 1 visits today)